The call for applications is now open. The deadline to apply is 3rd of March 2014, 17.00 GMT.
Please take a look at the documentation in the resources section to apply.
Our grants programme contributes to sustainable development in the context of effective, responsive and accountable governance with civil society participation.
The programme brokers knowledge and ideas. It supports innovation and sharing of replicable and sustainable models, while promoting good practice in participatory governance.
Participatory governance grants
Participatory governance is about how the state, the market and civil society interact to effect change. These interactions involve the inclusion of civil society in decision-making processes, enabling citizens to exercise voice and vote, and engage in policy formation.
By awarding grants to support participatory governance across the Commonwealth, the programme aims to:
- Deliver an efficient and effective programme which is responsive to the development needs of Civil Society Organisations (CSOs) across the Commonwealth
- Complement the effectiveness of the Foundation’s projects by providing grants to CSOs beyond those supported through the projects
- Generate knowledge and understanding of participatory governance and its benefits in promoting effective, responsive and accountable governance within the Commonwealth by supporting models of good practice
At a glance
- Up to £30,000 per year
- Multi-year funding available (up to three years)
- For civil society organisations
- Funding for new projects delivered in Commonwealth Foundation member countries
The grants programme will be particularly supportive of proposals that mainstream the Foundation's cross-cutting outcome areas in their project design:
- Gender equality
- Environmental sustainability
- Cultural respect and understanding